Check Point® Software Technologies Ltd. has been recognized as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: Zero Trust Platform Providers, Q3 2023 report.
Docker announced Docker Enterprise Edition (EE), a new commercial platform for enterprise development and IT ops teams that build, run, and operate business-critical applications in production at scale across the software supply chain.
Comprised of a container runtime, with integrated and multi-tenant orchestration, security and management in addition to an ecosystem of certified technologies, Docker EE gives enterprises an open container platform that ensures a simplified yet rich user experience. This new modular platform makes it easy to install, configure and upgrade Docker on certified infrastructure (operating systems and cloud providers). Docker EE is available in three tiers: Basic comes with the Docker platform, support and certification and Standard and Advanced tiers add advanced container management (Docker Datacenter) and Docker Security Scanning.
Docker is also launching its Docker Certification Program, a framework for partners to integrate and certify their technology to Docker EE and make their solutions available on Docker Store. The Docker Certification Program is designed for both technology partners and enterprise customers to recognize Containers and Plugins that excel in quality, collaborative support and compliance. Docker Certification is aligned to the available Docker EE infrastructure which provides enterprises with a trusted way to run more technology in containers with support from both Docker and the publisher. With certified containers and certified infrastructure, organizations now have the reassurance that the entire portable stack is supported and compatible with technologies from other ecosystem partners.
"From the very beginning, Docker has been focused on taking very complicated tooling and software and making it intuitive and easy to use," said Solomon Hykes, CTO and founder of Docker. "With EE, we've built on that legacy, by removing the layers of complexity and giving users a more native and tightly integrated experience. Our latest set of editions make it even easier for users to get critical applications into production and only Docker provides an open solution with full stack portability across any infrastructure from one environment to another - without breaking the seamless workflow between dev and ops."
Docker has also simplified access to the open source software through Docker Community Edition (CE). Docker CE is free and is available for Mac and Windows, for AWS and Azure, and for CentOS, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu - all from Docker Store. Docker CE includes the full Docker tooling and is ideal for developers and small ops teams that have started on the journey to Dockerizing applications. For users and contributors that want the latest and greatest features and functionality, they will be able to take advantage of the monthly release cadence for CE. Teams that need a more consistent and stabilized release can download Docker's quarterly release. Enterprise edition users will have access to new releases on a quarterly basis with the option to have a supported version of that release with backports and hotfixes for up to a year.
Docker Enterprise Edition
Docker EE is a certified container platform for the CentOS Distribution, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Ubuntu, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES), Oracle Linux and Windows Server 2016, as well as cloud providers; AWS and Azure. Docker and its partners provide cooperative support for Certified Containers and Plugins so that customers can confidently use these products in production.
Docker EE is available in three tiers:
- Basic: The Docker platform for certified infrastructure, with support from Docker Inc. and Certified Containers and Plugins from Docker Store
- Standard: Adds secure multi-tenancy with advanced image, container management, LDAP/AD user integration, secure software supply chain (Docker Datacenter)
- Advanced: Adds Docker Security Scanning and continuous vulnerability monitoring
Docker EE secures the entire software supply chain from development to production to ensure that all apps are safer. Regardless of whether it is a traditional homegrown app, ISV app or microservices architecture, all apps benefit from a modern security model with Docker EE.
Docker Community Edition
Docker Community Edition (CE) is a free platform for open infrastructure that addresses the needs of both the dev and ops communities. Docker Cloud is a set of cloud based managed services that enhance Docker CE with free and paid add-ons, including automated builds, continuous integration, public and private Docker image repos, and security scanning. Docker CE includes the full Docker platform and is great for developers and DIY ops teams starting to build container apps.
Docker Certification for Production Assurances
The Docker Certification Program is designed for both technology partners and enterprise customers to recognize Containers and Plugins that excel in quality, collaborative support and compliance. Docker Certified technologies are aligned to the available Docker EE infrastructure and gives enterprises a trusted way to run more technology in containers with support from both Docker and the publisher.
There are three categories within the Docker Certification program:
- Certified Infrastructure: Include operating systems and cloud providers that the Docker platform is integrated and optimized for and tested for certification. Through this, Docker provides a great user experience and preserves application portability. Docker's certified infrastructure includes: AWS, Azure, CentOS, Oracle Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), SUSE, Ubuntu and Windows Server 2016.
- Certified Container: Independent Software Vendors (ISV) are able to package and distribute their software as containers directly to the end user. These containers are tested, built with Docker recommended best practices, are scanned for vulnerabilities and are reviewed before posting on Docker Store. Docker's certified container technologies include: AVI Networks AviVantage, Bleemeo Smart Agent, BlobCity DB, CodeCovEnterprise, Datadog, Gitlab Enterprise, HPE Sitescope, Kaazing Enterprise Gateway, Koekiebox Fluid, Microsoft winservercore, nanoserver, mssql-server-linux, mssql-server-windows-express, aspnet, dotnet core, iis, Polyverse Microservice Firewall, Portworx PX-Developer, SysdigCloud Monitoring Agent, Weaveworks Weave Cloud Agent
- Certified Plugin: Networking and Volume plugins for Docker EE are now available to be packaged and distributed to end users as containers. These plugin containers are built with Docker recommended best practices are scanned for vulnerabilities and must pass an additional suite of API compliance testing before they are reviewed before posting on Docker Store. Apps are portable across different network and storage infrastructure and work with new plugins without recoding. Docker's Certified Plugins include: Blockbridge Volume Plugin, Cisco ContivNetwork Plugin, Hedvig Docker Volume Plugin, Hypergrid HyperCloud Block Storage Volume Plugin, NetApp NDVP Volume Plugin, Nexenta Volume Plugin, Nimble Storage Volume Plugin, Nutanix Volume Plugin
Docker EE is available as a free trial and for purchase direct from Docker Sales, online via Docker Store, with direct support by Alibaba, Canonical, HPE, IBM, Microsoft and through a network of regional partners.
Docker EE is available in three options depending on your needs including Basic, Standard and Advanced Tiers.