Red Hat announced new capabilities and features for Red Hat OpenShift, the company's enterprise Kubernetes platform.
The Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition is now available in North America and selected EMEA countries certified with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS pre-installed to work straight out of the box.
This is the first system available on the market with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, released in April 2020, and continues the long-standing partnership with Canonical which is designed to offer developers their ideal laptop based on input received from the community.
“Enterprises are increasingly equipping their developers and engineers with the operating system of their choice ensuring high end-user productivity. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on the latest Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition offers the performance developers demand with the assurance of security and long term support that IT management needs,” said Martin Wimpress, Director of Desktop Engineering at Canonical.
“Dell and Canonical have partnered since the 2012 launch of Project Sputnik to arm developers with Ubuntu systems tailored for usability, stability and performance,” said Barton George, Founder of Project Sputnik and XPS Developer Edition, Dell Technologies. “Ubuntu 20.04 LTS continues our long-standing partnership with the Linux developer community to provide Ubuntu certified hardware that works out-of-the-box, enabling the highest levels of productivity.”
Dell and Canonical’s engineering teams perform thousands of rigorous tests to ensure that Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and all of its subsystems (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, fingerprint authentication, etc.) work flawlessly from first boot. As with all LTS releases, Canonical will continue to provide security updates for up to ten years and perform regression testing throughout its lifecycle.
Highlights of Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS:
- GNOME 3.36 adding improved user workflow and performance enhancements
- New and updated applications including LibreOffice 6.4, Thunderbird 68.7.0
- Over 6,000 snaps from the Snap Store including Visual Studio Code, Slack, Spotify, Plex and the JetBrains portfolio
- New desktop Yaru default theme with light and dark modes
- Improved settings for WiFi, wallpaper and application groups in the ‘Activities’ overview
Features of the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition:
- Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS pre-loaded
- Precision crafted from CNC machined aluminum, aerospace-inspired carbon fiber or woven glass fiber in a durable, compact and lightweight design
- Larger 16:10 display, edge-to-edge keyboard, with larger keycaps and a larger touchpad
- Eyesafe display technology reduces harmful blue light and maintains vivid color
- 10th generation Intel Core 10nm mobile processors and up to 32 gigabytes of RAM
- Fingerprint reader
- Wi-Fi 6 ability (Killer AX1650 built on Intel Wi-Fi 6 Chipset)
- Targeting up to 18 hours and 49 minutes of battery life on FHD+ to keep you powered on the go