Docker announced a collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to simplify the lives of developers by allowing them to focus on application development, streamlining the process of deploying and managing containers in AWS from their local development environment.
Couchbase announced the general availability of Couchbase Cloud, a fully-managed Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS).
Couchbase Cloud is initially available on Amazon Web Services (AWS) with support for Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform available by year-end.
Couchbase Cloud helps organizations capitalize on both goals through:
- Versatility and performance of Couchbase Server, combined with emerging best practice of in-virtual private cloud (VPC) deployment on AWS, which allow customers to dramatically lower operational costs of traditional deployments without giving up critical control over data and security
- “Single pane of glass” control plane for multicloud management and cross data center replication (XDCR), making it even simpler to manage and deploy multiple clusters across clouds in multiple regions
- Transparent, customer-friendly configuration and licensing that combine with the software’s best-in-class, node-for-node performance to deliver exceptionally low TCO for the generation of applications that serve today’s online-only user communities
Couchbase Server is the original multi-purpose NoSQL database that inspired the evolution of competitive, yet still incomplete, platforms such as MongoDB Cloud Platform. Couchbase Server combines the high-performance, memory-first architecture of key-value stores with its SQL-friendly query language, robust developer SDKs, schema-flexible JSON format, all deployed as an elastically scaling, ACID compliant, globally replicating cluster architecture. Couchbase Cloud combines this power and versatility to allow customers to support an array of highly available applications and use cases such as online session caching, user profiles and catalog management for retailers, media content providers and enterprises that must adapt to our new, online-only world.
In-VPC deployment on AWS uses Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (Amazon EKS) to deploy and manage Couchbase software directly within the customers’ cloud accounts, allowing tight performance-matching of the database to its underlying infrastructure, affording customers the same degree of control they enjoyed when running their own data centers, yet at a fraction of the cost. This deployment technique offers customers the ability to utilize and manage:
- AWS best-practice security policies and data sovereignty preferences
- Data movement costs
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instance selection
- Configuration of instances per cluster
- Application of negotiated AWS discounts they have earned to their account, not ours.
Couchbase Cloud deployments are managed by its Control Plane, which provides DevOps administrators relief in overseeing global deployments by providing:
- Automated oversight of elastic scaling, upgrades, availability, monitoring & alerts across all clusters and all clouds
- Fine-grained control using Multidimensional Scaling (MDS) to performance-match application workloads to its Couchbase services to their underlying AWS instances to optimize resource consumption
Through its XDCR capability, Couchbase Cloud enables global, filtered replication of cluster contents to any cluster location, enabling customers to support data sovereignty requirements and:
- Automatically manage data migration, backup, disaster recovery to & from hybrid clouds, and intra-region for GDPR & other regulations
- Avoid CSP vendor lock-in with the ability to replicate data to Azure & GCP when available
Couchbase Cloud delivers exceptional value by keeping operational costs elastic and as low as possible. This is due to the convergence of Couchbase policies and the performance of Couchbase Server, which is well documented for node-for-node performance advantages over competitors. Couchbase Cloud enables customers to dramatically lower IaaS resource spending over alternatives.
Couchbase combines performance advantage with highly transparent licensing policies that allow customers to construct their own cost comparisons and make clear choices. Benefits include:
- Hourly or pre-paid credits with no minimum monthly limits
- No margin-stacking by hiding IaaS within subscription
- Customer configures & grows IaaS at the pace of dev/test/production/growth phases
- 20%+ discount of pre-paid credits combined with 75%+ discounts for AWS Reserved Instances (RIs) in private offer billing
- Choice of SLA-levels per cluster with Developer Pro & Enterprise options, saving over 35% with relaxed SLAs
- Avoiding cloud service provider lock-in from using vendor specific applications