Docker announced general availability of the Docker Desktop for Mac [Apple Silicon], enabling developers to leverage the advantages of the latest Macs powered by the M1 chip and extending the reach of their Docker collaborative application development platform to a new architecture.
Granulate announced the release of its open-source platform, the G-Profiler, a production profiling solution that measures the performance of code in production applications to facilitate compute optimization.
Granulate's G-Profiler empowers R&D and DevOps teams to maximize their applications' performance, improve the quality of their code and reduce cloud costs - all with simple installation and no code changes.
Granulate's G-Profiler aggregates profiling data across multiple nodes and multiple application languages over any time frame, with no code changes or performance penalties. These new capabilities will enable development teams to identify and optimize performance bottlenecks more efficiently, in any environment.
The G-Profiler is based on internal tools created by Granulate's R&D teams as part of the company's real-time continuous optimization solution. Granulate has decided to open-source the product to support the community and accelerate industry awareness of computing inefficiencies that may otherwise go undetected.
"In this cloud-native age, code profiling is more important than ever for improving application performance, taming cloud costs, and increasing margins. The G-Profiler is a very powerful tool that allows development teams to gain visibility and improve performance," said Asaf Ezra, CEO of Granulate. "Due to complexity of implementation and performance overhead, many teams could not afford to utilize such tools, so we are releasing the G-Profiler to allow them to reap the benefits of a code profiler without having to make changes in their code. This is a major milestone in our effort to commoditize real-time continuous optimization in order to enable hyperscale performance and cost-efficiency for all."
Granulate's G-Profiler provides several unique benefits for development and software engineers managing production applications:
- Open-source: An open-source package for community use
- Plug and play installation: Seamless installation without code changes and minimal effort
- Immediate visibility: Facilitates immediate visibility into production code - up and running in less than 5 minutes
- Low overhead: Minimal performance overhead, less than 1% utilization penalty
- Continuous: Designed to work continuously, facilitating effective analysis of performance issues in all environments, in real time
- Wide coverage: Native support for Java, Go, Python, Scala, Clojure, and Kotlin applications. Support for Node.js, Ruby, and PHP planned by end of Q1
The G-Profiler is available as an open-source package from GitHub, or try the free public image in AWS, Azure, and GCP or a free container image in the Docker registry.