Canopy launched with $4 million in seed funding from leading venture capital firms, Kindred Ventures and Village Global.
Canopy removes the complexity, custom code and time it takes to integrate, serve, and observe all the critical data companies need to grow their business. Enterprise organizations rely on Canopy for a distributed backend architecture that was previously only available to technology's biggest companies, while Software as a Service (SaaS) companies use Canopy to reduce costly integration cycles, increase sales and unlock more revenue.
"Canopy is on a mission to help companies connect any data in the world and make it available in minutes, not years," said CEO and co-founder Ryan Bartley. "The truth is that most enterprise IT teams spend 85% of their time on data integrations, instead of on the many critical projects that actually drive the business forward. This leads to overworked developers, a lack of innovation and lost revenue. At Canopy, we want to break this cycle, and rid the world of custom code."
Canopy enables software developers to connect any data source they want, transform and activate it in minutes, not years. Unlike data movement and ETL products, Canopy does not require companies to route data to a central location to extract value, and Canopy also includes out-of-the-box observability, which does not require training, setup or ongoing maintenance.
"Solving the data integration and activation problem for companies is a holy grail in enterprise technology. Companies have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on data integration and several multibillion-dollar product categories have emerged over the last few years to try to make this easier. None of this works for most companies," said Steve Jang, founder and Managing Partner at Kindred Ventures. "The Canopy team has a track record of building infrastructure and services used by millions of people. Canopy has the potential to be our next great enterprise technology company."
Canopy's platform provides backend architecture that can scale with the largest enterprise organizations or the fastest growing startups. With Canopy, SaaS companies can integrate faster, increase sales and improve customer satisfaction.
The platform's features include:
- Connecting data sources: Effortlessly, securely and privately connect to SaaS software and integrate with existing data sources, including internal databases, external APIs or cloud-based services – using Canopy's no code Builder experience.
- Command data sources: Shape data to meet their specific requirements with an intuitive interface that simplifies complex operations.
- Control data sources: Serve real-time data for enhanced user experiences and engagement.
- Comprehensive observability: Gain critical insights into data performance, usage and audit trails through centralized monitoring capabilities that just work out-of-the-box. With Canopy, companies do not need expensive 3rd-party observability and telemetry software, or any specialized setup, customization and ongoing maintenance.
- Scalable, secure, and reliable infrastructure: Ensure consistent performance with a suite of enterprise-grade features that prioritize data security, privacy, compliance, and governance. Canopy allows IT teams to control every aspect of data access, change management and operations.
Canopy is co-founded by Ryan Bartley and Morgan Dollard, two seasoned product and engineering executives. Bartley, Canopy's CEO, previously co-founded fabric, an e-commerce software company, now valued at over $1.5 billion, and also held senior product roles at eBay and Dell. Dollard, Canopy's CPO, is a former Google leader who helped build Google Play, Google Cloud Platform's networking portfolio and Stadia. He also held senior technical roles at Microsoft and Juniper Networks.