In light of the recent Equifax breach, Gene Kim and speakers from the upcoming DevOps Enterprise Summit San Francisco (DOES17) dissected the situation and discussed the technical leadership lessons learned while offering their own expert advice for handling crisis situations. The following are more highlights from the discussion ...
Serena Software introduced the new release of Serena Deployment Automation.
Serena Deployment Automation helps customers implement application release automation, DevOps and Continuous Delivery practices by providing simple yet powerful ways to replace slow, error-prone manual processes, reduce deployment times and automate complex application deployments.
Highly regulated large enterprises (HRLEs) face unique constraints that make adoption of pure DevOps practices difficult. HRLEs face challenges of scale, application dependencies, resource pressures, complex application architectures, security and compliance concerns that don’t exist in smaller organizations. These organizations are increasingly looking to implement a multi-modal approach to application delivery and see application release automation as a way to kick start their DevOps transformation, bridging the “Old with the New”, and integrating their development and release tool-chains.
“With enterprise customers performing over 4000 deployments per week, deployment automation tools need to securely scale across all environments in the enterprise and provide real-time visibility of deployments across an application portfolio consisting of hundreds of applications” said Julian Fish, Director of Products at Serena. “This scale of deployment requires an enterprise grade automation tool, with reporting, scalability and visibility built in.”
The latest version of Serena Deployment Automation enables large enterprises to implement DevOps and Continuous Delivery approaches including full stack automation and pipeline based delivery across all environments.
Major new features of Serena Deployment Automation include:
- Global Environment Inventory: Users can now view environment timelines and inventory directly from the environments display. This allows users to view all applications deployed to a particular environment and display the timeline and full inventory for the environment.
- Execution History Purge: To support enterprises with large numbers of deployments, you can now cleanup execution history, subject to permission and rules. This wizard based cleanup tool allows users to define criteria including applications and date ranges to clear historical information. The system maintains a detailed audit trail of any information removed.
- Agent and Agent Relay Status Detection: To support large implementations, detection of Agents and Agent Relays can now be set to occur on a user defined basis. This ensures that all Agent and Agent Relay status information is accurate at all times.
- Agent Relay Installation: To support customers with many hundreds of target endpoints, Agent Relay installation can now be performed in silent mode, removing the need for human interaction.
- Plug-in Support: Serena Deployment Automation provides out of the box plug-ins that enable end-to-end application and infrastructure tool-chain automation. We provide over 90 existing plug-ins for application, infrastructure, cloud, virtualization, network, and database deployments. We continually add and enhance plug-ins to ensure integration for all products in your deployment stack.
Serena Deployment Automation is part of the Serena Release Management solution along with Serena Release Control, which provides end-to-end application release management.